The healing properties of Buxton's spa water first drew visitors to the town in Roman times. Over the centuries people have continued to visit though happily today their reasons are more for pleasure than medicine. Originally built as two gentleman's residences, No 1 Burlington Road was known as 'Rockhaven' (1875) and No 2 as 'Buckingham' (1876). Around the turn of the century, Rockhaven was acquired by Mr & Mrs George Ramsay-Mrs Ramsay running it as a lodging house. Her husband, George S Ramsay was a well known artist in oils, specialising in local scenes. Records show that in 1906 Mr and Mrs Ramsay moved to Aylestone in Leicestershire where he continued to paint.
Shortly after this the two houses were combined to make the hotel as it stands today.A new millenium sees The Buckingham continuing it's tradition of offering hospitality and as it enters it's third century as an important town landmark the hotel plays host to many local clubs and associations as well as enjoying much local patronage via Ramsay's Carvery and a la Carte Restaurant and Real Ale Bar.
No 1 Burlington Road
Buxton, SK17 9AS GB
Buckingham Hotel, Buxton, Derbys
Hotels of Britain front page
Your guide to UK hotels